In order to enhance campus research and to increase research collaboration with industry and other academic institutions, UC Irvine encourages the transfer of biological and other research materials to and from our campus.
Before proprietary or valuable material changes hands, a transfer agreement should be in place. This protects the rights of both parties and ensures agreement up front on subsequent use, care and further distribution. The UCI Office of Technology Alliances (OTA) has responsibility for helping researchers negotiate and execute these agreements on behalf of UCI.
Following is a brief description of how outgoing and incoming transfer agreements operate. OTA endeavors to provide 24 to 48 hour turnaround for agreements where little or no negotiation is required.
Transfer of Materials from UCI Laboratories to other academic Laboratories
- The party requesting UCI materials should visit the Outgoing Material Transfer Forms page and download the forms and instructions for making the transfer.
- The requesting party should complete the form and submit it to OTA.
- Under some circumstances, UCI will charge a fee for transferring the material. OTA will advise the requesting party if any fees are applicable.
- Once all the paperwork is completed, OTA will inform the UCI researcher that the transfer can be made.
Request for the Transfer of Materials from Your UCI Laboratory
In order to expedite the transfer of materials from a UCI lab, an Internal Material Transfer Form should be completed by the UCI lab transferring requested materials to other academic labs or industry. This Internal Material Transfer Form will ensure that the requested materials may be distributed to other academic labs and industry without legal and contractual encumbrances to third parties such as third party material providers or sponsors of research.
Transfer of Materials to Your UCI Lab that Require a Material Transfer Agreement
- Incoming Material Transfer Agreements (MTA) should be completed and sent to OTA for processing. In addition the Incoming Material Transfer Intake Form for Materials (MS Word .doc) should be completed and submitted to OTA with the incoming MTA.
- Each agreement requires the signature of a UCI authorized official within OTA.
- Mail originals or email MTAs or deliver them to OTA, please include all necessary contact information.
- Faxes are acceptable and should be sent to (949) 824-3400.
Note: Incoming Material transfer agreements from companies with highly proprietary material can be challenging, may take more time and require special concessions. In some circumstances a special Acceptance Agreement may be required of the recipient investigator whereby they accept certain risks inherent in the agreement. UCI may not be able to accept the terms from all companies.
OTA Contact for Material Transfers
For more information or assistance in negotiating material transfer agreements, contact:
Assistant Director, Intellectual Property Administration
5171 California Ave, Suite 150
Irvine, CA 92697-7700
UCI Zot code: 7700
Phone: (949)824-4608, Fax: (949)824-3400